Standard Bathtub Dimensions For Every Type of Tub
As with a nice scented candle or finely polished glass, the bathtub is an essential part of completing the look and feel of your bathroom. But whether you are looking for a fancy copper bathtub or more budget material like fiberglass, the size, and shape of your bathtub should be the first question you address.
What are standard dimensions for bathtubs?
In general, standard dimensions will give you a rough figure for the size of the bathtub. However, they all vary depending on the shape and type of bathtub you are looking to purchase. For a typical standard, wall-wall bathtub, the measures will be roughly 60 inches long, 30-32 inches wide.
What is the standard water depth for bathtubs?
As with dimensions, standard water depth will vary based on the shape and model of the tub. The most common depth for standard bathtubs though would be 14-20 inches.
Now, before we continue any further, there are a few things you should consider before choosing your bathtub. Specifically, how much weight can your floor support and can your water heater handle a larger tub? Will you be looking for a simple remodel or just a replacement for an existing bathtub? Who will be using your tub and more so, ease of access to people in your household? Will it be primarily for cleaning or more for de-stress and relaxation? Answering these questions will help decide the correct dimension of tub that is right for you.
- Alcove Bathtub Dimensions
- Freestanding Bathtub Dimensions
- Drop-In Bathtub Dimensions
- Undermount Bathtub Dimensions
- Corner Bathtub Dimensions
- Walk in Bathtub Dimensions
The most common bathtub on the market, and what most people consider to be the standard bathtub. Affordable and easy to install, the only drawback is its relatively small size. Alcove bathtubs usually fit within a three wall enclosure, making them ideal for a shower combination as well. Common dimensions for this bathtub are:
- 60 inches long (5ft) 30 inches wide (2.5ft) with 16 (1.3ft) inches of water depth.
- Smaller sizes typically run 45 inches long (3.75 ft), 30 inches wide (2.5ft) with 14 inches of water depth (1.16 ft).
- Large size you are looking at 72 inches long (6ft), 42 inches wide (3.5ft) and 20 inches of water depth (1.6ft).
Immediately more expensive, freestanding tubs are tubs that are unconnected to any walls or surfaces. Quite heavy, they are usually distinguishable by the claws at either end of the tub, though many today have the option of removing them if their aesthetic is not to your tastes. On top of being more expensive, they also require a rather large bathroom to accommodate the size of the tub as well as the increased weight.
Common or standard dimensions for a freestanding bathtub are:
- 60 inches long (5ft), 30 inches wide (2.5ft) with 19 inches of water depth (1.89ft).
- Small freestanding bathtubs can run 55 inches long(4.58ft), 27 inches wide (2.25ft) with a water depth of 15(1.25ft).
- Large ones begin at 72 inches long (6ft), 32 inches wide (2.67ft) with 20 inches of water depth (1.6ft).
Badeloft offers FREE bathtub templates and material samples for freestanding bathtubs. Click HERE to request one.
Drop in Baths
Most bathtubs have a visible finished side, usually called an apron or skirt, which is flat or bowed. Drop in tubs have no finished sides and are usually installed in an alcove or peninsula jutting out in the middle of your bath space. Dimension wise, drop in tubs are similar to the normal standard of bathtubs with slightly more freedom-depending on your space available, you can install in an alcove or in an open area, allowing your dimensions to be both wider and longer compared to an alcove bathtub.
Standard dimensions for drop in tubs are:
- 60 inches long(5ft), 30 inches wide (2.5ft) with a water depth of 16 inches (1.3ft).
- Small sizes start at 45 inches long (3.75 ft), 30 inches wide (2.5 ft) with 14 inches of water depth (1.16ft).
- Large sizes running 72 inches long (6ft), 32 inches wide (2.67ft) with a water depth of 20 inches (1.6ft).
Almost identical to a drop in bathtub, except its rim is covered in a small deck top made of stone or tile which will usually obscure the rim during installation. The stone and tile surround offers a more pleasant aesthetic compared to a drop in tub, but do keep in mind that you pay for that luxury. Standard dimensions again are similar to drop in tubs running at:
- 60 inches long(5ft), 30 inches wide(2.5ft), with a water depth of 16 inches(1.3ft).
- Small ones begin at 45 inches long (3.75ft), 30 inches wide (2.5ft) with 14 inches of water depth (1.16ft).
- Large ones start at 72 inches long (6ft), 32 inches wide (2.67ft) with a water depth of 20 inches (1.6ft).
Luxury first, corner bathtubs generally are not used for normal bathing. Corner tubs are usually installed in master bathrooms and are ideal for de-stress, meditation, and calming soaks. The design is also different, as it is shaped closer to a triangle than the typical rectangle of a normal bathtub. Common size or standard dimensions of a corner bath are:
- 60 inches by 60 inches or 5ft by 5ft with a water depth of 20 inches (1.6ft).
- Small sizes run 48 inches by 48 inches (4ftx4ft) with a water depth of 18 inches (1.5ft).
- Large sizes running at 72 inches by 72 inches (6ftx6ft) with a water depth of 20 inches. (1.6ft).
Walk in Baths
For those with mobility issues or many senior residents, the walk-in baths are a great option. A walk in bathtub is a bathtub that is elevated higher, with a door on the side that allows you to walk in and sit in your bathtub. This, of course, means that slippage or any accidents that happen in the shower will lessen as there are special handrails and grips designed to keep your head above the water and to ease you in and out of the bathtub itself. The downside, of course, is that most walk-in bathtubs will require professional installation. Also, since the water does not flow unless you are standing inside of it, they tend to create a heavy drain on your water heater as you wait for the large tub to fill with water before coming to temperature. Standard dimensions for a walk in are:
- 60 inches long (5ft), 30 inches wide (2.5ft) with a water depth of around 30 inches (2.5ft).
- Smaller sizes typically run 48 inches long (4ft), 28 inches wide (2.3ft)with a water depth of around 30 inches (2.5ft)
- Large sizes run 60 inches long(5ft), 36 inches wide (3ft)with a water depth of around 30 inches(2.5ft).
Each style of bathtub offers a wide variety of sizes to fit your specific bath space but carefully consider the proper dimensions against the size of your bathroom and ultimately decide what kind of use this bathtub will see. In short, be practical and you will surely find the right bathtub.