Do Plumbers Install or Replace Bathtubs?
A little lost when it comes to installing your new bathtub? If this is your first bathtub installation, it is usually best to consult a professional before installing, but which should you hire? Today we discuss common questions concerning professionals and what you can do to ensure you hire the right one for your job.
Do plumbers install or replace bathtubs?
Yes, among other services, plumbers do install and replace bathtubs. In addition to removing and installing your new bathtub, they will also connect the plumbing associated with the bathtub as well.
What is the cost associated with professional installation ?
Professional installation usually runs anywhere between $1,000-5,000, depending on the amount of work. This price usually fluctuates depending on the contractor and the work required. Smaller bathtubs will usually cost anywhere between $1,000-2,000, with medium-large sized bathtubs costing anywhere between $2,500-5,000. It is for this reason that you should receive multiple price quotes before choosing professional installation.
How long does it take to install?
Job length will always vary from contractor to contractor. More credible professionals will usually finish a project within a day, whereas some can take up to a week for project completion. Bathtub installation shouldn’t take longer than 2-3 days, regardless of the tub size, so keep that in mind when hiring a professional.
Does the bathtub type change the installation process?
Installation price will usually vary when installing different sizes of bathtub. A smaller bathtub is much easier to install than a larger one, thus, making it much cheaper to install a smaller bathtub than a larger one. But when it comes to bathtub type, the answer is a bit different. In general, drop-in, alcove and shower combo bathtubs are priced similarly because their installation method is very similar. They do not require more than one individual, and can be installed within a day or two, depending on the size of the bathtub itself.
A small to medium sized freestanding tub is similarly simple to install, as it can be placed freely in a space. If the freestanding bathtub is much larger however, then the process may take the full extent of 2 days to install. But typically, bathtub type doesn’t impact the installation process that heavily as the same considerations apply to all bathtub types before installation.
How to prep for an installation
An important step before installation is prepping for it. This process shouldn’t be taken lightly as the cleaner the area is, the easier the install will be and you do not risk damaging your bathroom.
- Plan out the area you want for install
- Fully measure the surrounds and get a feel for your height and length limitations
- Remove your previous shower/tub(if you are not familiar with how to do so, you can wait for the professional for this step)
- With your old bathtub out of the way, you can clean and remove any obstructions
- With your area prepped and cleaned, you are ready for installation.
Handyman vs a plumber – what to think about
An important question when hiring a professional is which to hire. When it comes to bathtub installation, both handymen and plumbers can accomplish the same task, but which is right for you? When comparing handyman and plumbers, plumbers have extensive training and usually have to undertake some form of apprenticeship for at least 2-4 years before being licensed. This makes them a great deal more knowledgeable than your everyday handyman.
Handymen, on the other hand, do not require a license and typically can do many jobs that the homeowner can accomplish on their own. Of the two, plumbers are much more skilled, having to balance water levels and keep fixtures in the house running at all times. For all jobs, it is best to consult a plumber, but generally handymen are great for general home maintenance, whereas plumbers are invaluable for the inner workings of your home. When hiring a plumber, it is important to check their license before hiring them for your job.
How to choose the right plumber for the job?
Hiring a contractor can be a tricky process. Choosing the right one for your job will require some research and work on your end to figure out if this contractor is suitable for your project. Below are some things to consider before hiring a contractor.
- Get a price quote for the job. Every contractor is different, so don’t immediately hire the first one you meet. Shop around and evaluate your options carefully.
- Always have everything in writing, for the benefit of you and your contractor
- You should consult previous reviews on your contractor, if they are new, their price should reflect that
- Experience is important, and experienced contractors are well worth the additional price over inexperienced ones
- You should verify their personality and professionalism to see if they are the right fit for your job
- Consult online reviews to see how long it takes them to complete a job. As discussed before, a bathtub installation should take no more than 2-3 days, so a professional who takes longer should be viewed with some scrutiny.
Questions to ask your plumber?
In line with choosing the right plumber for your job, knowing which questions to ask is always fairly important. Below are some questions you should ask before hiring your plumber.
- Are you licensed?
- Is this is the total cost for the project?
- Do you work hourly or at a flat rate?
- Do you do the work or does someone else do it?
- Do you clean up your mess for your project?
- When do you want payment?
- What if something breaks?
There is a lot to consider before hiring a contractor, so it is best to do your research and make sure that you end up hiring the right one for your job. Otherwise you could end up with a greater headache than when before you started your project.